Monday, December 13, 2010

Laying TANGO to Rest and What Comes Next

After a lot of time and consideration, I've decided to shelve THE AGE OF NEVER GROWING OLD. Though I did not exhaust my list of potential agents, the feedback I received from everyone largely amounted to 'it's a good story, but I don't know how to sell it.' Which, when I think about it, isn't that much of a surprise. While dystopian novels are selling really well in the YA market, an adult dystopian/sci-fi/romance blend is a bit of a challenge. And because I don't plan to write any more adult books, it just doesn't make sense for my debut novel to be one meant for a market I don't plan to participate in.

So I'm moving on! Lately I've been unsure as to what my next project should be, but I've finally made a decision. No more waffling between ideas, or questioning what I'm doing. I've been considering this project for a few months now, and decided it was time to run with it.

And run with it I have. Since Friday, I've accumulated nearly 16,000 words and am going strong. If I want to start querying again, I need to have a novel to do so. And to have a novel, I have to write it. I'm hoping to crank out the first draft by the end of the year, and at this rate, it just might happen! Hopefully I'll be querying again by late spring, so keep your fingers crossed, everyone!

Since it's (almost) Teaser Tuesday, but I don't want to jinx myself, I thought I'd share some info about my WIP instead.

- It's a dystopian YA.

- It's set in the very near future. About a hundred years or so.

- The U.S. flag is no longer red, white and blue. It's black and red, and has a latin phrase on it.

- There are some strong parallels to THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK, one of my favorite books as a kid.

- My least favorite month of the year makes an appearance.

- My obsession with collages also makes an appearance.

I suspect you'll get a snippet once I've gone back and done some editing. Stay tuned!

OH! ALSO!

I am officially remaining an intern at Elaine P. English for the spring semester. Happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment